Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Contests...To enter or not to enter....

Last week the finalists of the RWA First Kiss competition were announced and sadly...I was not amongst them. I was so devastated I almost had to take to my bed. My entry was sizzling and I had expected (at the very least) a phone call from the editor at Silhouette begging me(on bended knees) for the full manuscript. Of course there would have been the offer of an advance,amount undisclosed, although rumours of sightings of myself in a sporty convertible are yet to be confirmed.

Alas it was not be be and today, just to rub salt into an already septic wound, the judges comments arrived in the mail.I resisted the urge to pour petrol over them and strike a match. And thank goodness for that. The comments from all four judges were fantastic. In fact they were so good, I think I may have them framed. They all universally loved my voice, all saying they loved the comedic tone I bought to my piece and my sassy style. One judge (a published author)said she laughed out loud in places and that I had a real talent for dialogue. Wow! I have now pulled myself out of my bed, put the wine bottles in the recycling and am standing ten feet tall, ready to take on my new manuscript. This is the lowest placing I have ever received for a contest and it is the best result I have ever had.

And in answer to my question and as to whether I will throw myself back into the contest fray. You betcha.

PS: Congratulations to all the finalists as I can only imagine the calibre of your entries.

6 comments:

  1. Commiserations on the First Kiss. I've only entered that once and steered clear since then for a few reasons.

    I like contests but am getting more choosy about which ones to enter. I only enter if the prize (i.e Valerie Parv Award) or the judge is good for where I want to head.

    I've found that mss fair very differently in various contests. Generally if I have a mss that does well in the Emmy, it bombs in the VPA and vica versa. Still it's a bit of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Felicity, what fantastic comments! I know what Rach means about contests though, they're so subjective. I'm starting to wonder about whether I should enter the Great Beginnings contest at all, but then again, it is for category authors and the feedback can be helpful. And it gives me something to do while I wait. :-)
    Anyway, you'll get your convertible. I'm sure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go for it is my advice. It is something to do whilst twiddling ones thumbs and the feedback I have received has reinflated my enthusiasm...at least it will have once I stop blogging and start writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Commiserations on not being placed but what lovely comments from the judges! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say frame away! Compliments should always be framed :)

    ReplyDelete