Thursday, April 9, 2009

If at first you dont succeed...

Well...the bad news is that I heard from Jenny at Mills and Boon yesterday and the answer was a 'no' to my manuscript 'The House that Jack Built'. (Is that the sound of shock/horror coming from the bleachers, maybe a sigh of disappointment in the back row.)

The good news is that she gave me heaps of great feedback on the manuscript and things to look out for in future submissions. She is also happy to discuss her comments with me and has invited me to send over my next story idea for her feedback.(Someone turn on the clapping machine.) So although I have not received the expected 1500 book contract I was hoping for, I am still miles ahead of where I was before I entered the 'Feel the Heat' competition all those months ago.

Am I disappointed. Of course. But funnily enough, not as much as what I thought. Maybe I am in denial and there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth when the news sinks in over a couple of glasses of wine. What I do feel is proud...proud that I finally completed and submitted a full manuscript. Now I am really looking forward to taking what I have learnt and pouring it into the new one.

But not until after I move house. So back to the packing boxes and when I get a chance I will share Jenny's feedback with you...the good, the bad, and the ugly (although there was not so much of the ugly).

9 comments:

  1. Commiserations on your rejection but let's face it, it's a good one and it get's you one rung further up the ladder to publication!! YAY for You!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a positive rejection! At least you're one step closer to publication, and you're right about having a lot to be proud of by submitting. Many never get to that stage (something I am striving for myself!)
    BTW, good luck with the moving:) I recently moved house and I'm still unpacking 5 weeks later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. It was a postive rejection at that and I am further advanced than I was this time last year. I now know I can write and edit a full manuscript, which I had never done and I am able to submit further ideas direct to Jenny. I also believe that at the end of this when I finally get published (because I will get published) that this process will make me a much better writer.

    Angie, I am pretty sure I will be unpacking for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear your news Felicity but at least it sounds like they are very much invested in helping you get there - they must really like your writing :-)

    Good luck with your next story and if you're willing to share I know there are lots of us who are keen to know what doesn't make a story a good 'fit'.

    Good luck with the move too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to share Lorraine. Once I have this move over I will post some of Jenny's comments as her feedback was invaluable. I get so invested in my stories that it becomes hard to see the 'forest for the trees', so to have her expertise help weed them out is fantastic. Hopefully they will help everyone else who is working towards publication.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's all about the feedback. I'm going to say congrats anyway because I think you've just taken a couple of steps forward :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you're enjoying your new house, Felicity! Bummed about your news though - I was really, really hoping for ya. Ah well, you've got a direct line to Jenny now so it's only a matter of time I reckon. And yep, be keen to hear why it wasn't a goer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about the rejection, Felicity, but hooray, now you have an editor to send your next fabulous ms to!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks guys. And the more I reflect on Jenny's comments to more direction I have for my new manuscript. I am going to take this week off and unpack and then next week, I will throw myself back into the process. I have already started making notes and the first chapter is starting to take shape, so I am a little excited I must say. When I get a chance I will blog re her comments.

    ReplyDelete