Monday, April 27, 2009

I'm back

Hi diddley neighbours, I am back after a brief stint wallowing in my rejection...and moving house. Actually, the move gave me more grief than the rejection. As posted earlier, Jenny Hutton gave me heaps of valuable feedback and I know I promised that I would share. So here goes.

Jenny has said from the get go that she loves my voice and she finds my humour and dialogue fresh and vibrant. My mistake was that I gave her both of these things in spades but it was at the cost of the story. I manufactured situations to fit with the humour and even though the dialogue I created was sparky and fun it lacked a ring of truth. Yesterday, I sat down and read her rejection through again and it was as though a lightbulb suddenly went on.I can see exactly what she means. Now, I have to break the habit.

I am currently reading 'Hired: The Bosses Bride' by Ally Blake and if people would like an example of great dialogue, her books really deliver and I can now see where my dialogue fell over. Kelly Hunter is another writer who's dialogue sizzles off the page.

So I have taken my rejection and Ally Blake's/Kelly Hunters library of books and have a brand new manuscript percolating. What is it about you ask? No idea. The heroine...not even a name. A hero...still formulating. But never let the lack of ideas ruin a good story I say. I have always wanted a hero and a heroine with a connected past, so at this moment I have them being drawn back to their home town by the death of her brother (who is also his best friend). They are forced together to preserve something that belonged to the brother, maybe a family business. And they are also forced to confront the wedge that was driven between them years before.

Did I mention that the idea is incredibly raw at this point but at least I now have somewhere to jump off to.

And did I mention that it is great to be back.

5 comments:

  1. Great to see you back Felicity!! And the idea sounds fab! I LURVE ex-friends/lovers stories!! Must do one myself one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great!
    I'm doing an ex-lovers story (does 300 words in count?) and i think it will be fun.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back Felicity. Glad to hear you've dusted yourself off and looking forward to hearing about your progress :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Felicity, back into the fray! Jenny's comments are gold-dust huh?
    ANyway, your new story sounds fantastic. I'm with Rach, I love ex-friends/lovers stories as well...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the support guys. And yes, 300 words in counts. Heck, 50 words in counts. Everything counts that moves the manuscript forward.

    ReplyDelete